How I Did It by Michael Rich

>> Sunday, October 19, 2014


The future has arrived, but history has come to a hard stop. A well-meaning industrialist named Jasper Jennings has spent several decades creating a highly functional dystopia. Many years after his death, the Jennings family discovers a manuscript that seems to provide a roadmap of how he came to control the world and how humankind may some day chart a new horizon.



The future has arrived, but history has come to a hard stop. A well-meaning industrialist has spent several decades creating a highly functional dystopia. The nations of the world have been subsumed by a centralized, quasi-governmental, corporate arrangement, tightly controlled by the Jennings family. The family patriarch, Jasper Jennings, has long since died and the arrangement is now managed by his son, Jasper Jennings, Junior, and Junior’s counselor, Dannika Weber.

The Jennings family has recently discovered a manuscript that they believe may have been written by the late Jasper Jennings. The manuscript appears to provide a roadmap describing how Jasper Jennings came to control the world, and a formulation explaining how humankind might one day reclaim control, both as individuals and as separate nations, to reset history and chart a new horizon.

As a serialized version of the manuscript is released, chapter-by-chapter, the story uses multiple perspectives to explore the relationship between the subjective reality experienced by the characters, the subjective reality offered by Jasper Jennings, and the analysis of perceived reality offered by regular media “news” reports and commentary. The story explores the confusion, anxiety, and alienation of our times, and is meant to encourage debate within the mind of the reader on practical and philosophical questions of right and wrong, public policy, and how humankind should move forward to benefit the general welfare.






About Michael Rich


Hi,



I'm Michael Rich. I was born in Glendale, California in 1962. I've lived in California my entire life and currently reside in Northern California with my daughter. I'm a single parent; my wife passed away in 2011. I have always enjoyed writing and I studied creative writing in college. So far I have published one novel, but more are on the way. I'm currently working on the second novel, which has a working title of "The Preserve." I am also going to publish a series of short stories that are already completed, but need editing and formatting. If you like this first novel, "How I Did It," you can look for the short story collection in early 2015. I also enjoy writing songs (I play guitar and sing), golf, and alpine snow skiing.



My writing is inspired primarily by four writers, in alphabetical order: Albert Camus, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Aldous Huxley and Jack London. I am not as talented as any of those writers, but their writing inspires me, informs my writing in subtle ways, and sets a standard of quality that I aspire to.



If you buy "How I Did It" and you like it, I would welcome a posted review. Thanks for checking out my Smashwords profile.






Price: $10.99 USD

First 20% Sample: epub mobi (Kindle) lrf

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2011 © Speed up my Brain, All rights reserved